The Living Room

talk icon guilt

• tillie's Avatar 1
    My husband was diagnosed this Aug w/stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He goes for chemo every other week. So far he is tolerating it well.. He is moody and snaps at me. I am trying to be understanding, but it is wearing me down. I get upset and feel guilty. Any suggestions?
  • erika's Avatar 2
    Hello Tillie and Welcome to CSC!
    Your guilt may be a byproduct of feeling overwhelmed with this scary new situation of your husband's recent diagnoses. I imagine so is he. Also, side effects of chemo often includes changed mood and reactivity. On top of it, he is probably scared as well. This fear of the "new normal" and the unknown may be your common ground right now. You are both frightened, not knowing what the future may hold. I imagine you both would be more patient and kinder toward each other, if only you could. You would if you could, but in those pivotal moments, you can't. Maybe accepting this and cutting each other and yourself a little slack may help.
    In addition I can recommend our Helpline, which is a professional service where licensed,
    and experienced counselors stand by to help. They are empathic and understand what you are going through. We provide this service at no cost to our community. Please give them a call 1 888-793-9355. And please do come back here and let us know how you and your husband are doing.
    Sending warm wishes,
    Erika

Erika M Maslan, MA. LMFT
    CSC Group Facilitator
    and Discussion Board Monitor
Quick Reply